[T3] Previous owner blues

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 2 11:09:30 PDT 2017

On 2 Jun 2017 at 17:52, kirk wrote:

> Looks like they cut a hole to get
> access and remove the welded nut. Harder to tell from the pictures but
> they also cut two vertical slots on the forward facing side of the
> mount, possibly to remove pressures??? This must have left the whole
> structure compromised which caused the bolts that held the new shock
> in to ovalize the existing holes and also buckle the inside mating
> surface between the shock mount and the shock. Looking for ideas to
> possibly repair this or stabilize it.

> https://goo.gl/photos/bNFacnksz8w5Rryk6

Really good choice of subject line, and your photos make it look pretty bad.
At the bottom left corner of your last photo, do I see rust-thru at the base of
that support? If so, I'd suggest forgetting about fixing this one and look for a
good replacement rear subframe. That would be quite a job, but it would be
rewarding to know that you fixed this right.

Most shocks have little or no load sharing ability, so if the car is leaning to
the left, I suspect there are other problems, as well. Other problems could
include the front suspension.

I think there were 3 versions of rear subframes, each with different
subversions of torsion bars. What year is this, and which body style?

Where are you located? Someone here may have a suitable subframe. I
have a couple, but I'm probably not close to you. (Wisconsin)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org