[T3] On interstate 12 Volt batteries , how often should the level be checked?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 15 18:44:07 PDT 2017

On 15 Jun 2017 at 17:40, William J wrote:

>  I know they say maintenance free yet have the double caps that
> interstate does  say on their site to check them every oil change .
> Bentley says something similar.

I try to check them every year or so. They don't change unless you
overcharge them. It's best to use distilled water.

The important thing to understand is where the level should be. If you look
down into each cell, you'll see a cylindrical bore with 2 slots. The water
should be at the bottom of the bore, which is the lower end of the slots. This
puts the water well above the tops of the plates and the plate separators.