[T3] Late Type 3 Calipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 18 10:42:05 PDT 2017

As most of you know, late Type 3 calipers are the same as early Type 4 and
early 914/4 calipers. To the best of my knowledge, all those cars came with
calipers that had 2 bleed valves. About a year ago, someone sent me one of
those calipers that had only a single bleed valve. I thought this was odd, but
it had VW cast into the caliper housing, so I accepted it as some kind of
mistake.

I worked out a way to drill and tap for the second bleed valve so that it could
be "correct."

Recently I got another one of those "rogue" late calipers, again with a
single bleed valve and with VW cast into the housing. I'm really wondering
where these came from. Does anyone know?

My only thought is that at some late date, VW may have decided not to pay
for the extra bleed valve for spare calipers to be sold as replacements. Is it
possible that at some point VW started stocking replacements with only a
single bleed valve? Does anyone know?

I've worked out a way to drill and tap these to make them just like the
originals, but it's a lot of extra work. Still, I think it's worth it since these parts
are so hard to find in good condition otherwise.