[T3] Late Type 3 Calipers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 16:27:21 PDT 2017

I think these calipers may need a bit more investigation, Jim.
At least with only one bleed valve, there's no doubt which side they need to
be fitted, however the piston orientation may not be corrct for a Type 3.

Genuine calipers need the piston retaining clips and piston orientation set
correctly for a Type 3.  If not, the pads can wear unevenly.  The Type 4
calipers fit in front of the hub, while Type 3 fit behind, which needs
checking before installation, and may require the pistons turning
appropriately.

I've not seen any late calipers with single bleed valves.
I think the Type 3 had the disc runout ccmpensating pins in the cylinders.
Do these have them, or perhaps it was only the ones through '71 with the
thinner discs?

I've forwarded Jim separately a page from our Club Technical manual with the
Type 3 piston orientation, and some comments from a member.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club