[T3] Late Type 3 Calipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 20 20:27:40 PDT 2017

On 21 Jun 2017 at 0:27, Dave Hall wrote:

> I think these calipers may need a bit more investigation, Jim. At
> least with only one bleed valve, there's no doubt which side they need
> to be fitted, however the piston orientation may not be correct for a
> Type 3.

Everything that comes here gets taken apart and rebuilt. After that,
I can put it back together correctly for whereever it's needed.

With a single bleed valve, the piston positions will indeed be wrong
for switching between Type 3 and Type 4. One advantage of dual bleed
valves is that it makes a given caliper work on either model. Once
it's set up as a "right" it works as a right for either model; the
upper bleed valve just becomes the lower.

To answer Gary's question, in addition to making the caliper castings
"universal", a bottom bleed valve lets us bleed off brake fluid from
the bottom of the caliper, where dirt tends to collect. It's also
possible that "wet" brake fluid is more dense than dry fluid, so
bleeding from the bottom may be more effective. At any rate, with a
bleed valve on the bottom it's possible to completely drain the
system. A bottom bleed valve is also a huge advantage when switching
to DoT-5 brake fluid, which is lighter than standard fluid, so
bleeding from the bottom lets us get out the last traces of the old,
heavier fluid.

> Genuine calipers need the piston retaining clips and piston orientation set
> correctly for a Type 3.  If not, the pads can wear unevenly.

I rebuild a LOT of calipers, and I've seen every possible combination
of incorrect piston installation. Most of the calipers I do are for
Type 3s, so I've gotten very used to how those go together. I have to
admit that I have to stop and think, and get annoyed, when I'm doing
calipers for a car where the calipers are mounted in front of the
hub.

> I've not seen any late calipers with single bleed valves.
> I think the Type 3 had the disc runout ccmpensating pins in the cylinders.
> Do these have them, or perhaps it was only the ones through '71 with the
> thinner discs?

All the Type 3, Type 4, and 914/4 calipers I've seen appear to have
come with the compensating pins, although many of them have clearly
been broken out, I assume by some previous commercial rebuilder. I
consider the pins to be useful and much prefer to see them installed.
Unfortunately, I don't have any way to replace pins that have been
broken out.

> I've forwarded Jim separately a page from our Club Technical manual with the
> Type 3 piston orientation, and some comments from a member.

Your pdf file speculates on the why of the cutouts and their
positioning with respect to the rotation of the rotor. This
positioning is common to all ATe and most other caliper makes. I
agree that putting the cutout on the side facing the incoming rotor
(when moving forward) evens out the pad wear.

Why this cutout is angled 20 deg is harder to understand. I'm not
sure, but I have a SSWAG (slightly scientific wild ass guess):

We know that static friction is larger than dynamic friction. I'm
willing to guess that it might also be true that lower velocity
friction is larger than higher velocity friction. Since the tangental
velocity is larger at the outside of the rotor, it's possible that
less wear compensation is necessary out there.

Rotors in different cars vary a lot in diameter, as do the proportion
of the circle that is covered by the pads. Braking at different
speeds also varies the rotor speed. All of this  would seem to
require different amounts of tilt to compensate for the radial
variation of friction, although it's possible that calipers for
different cars get different amounts of their faces cut away.
Nevertheless, I suspect that the universal 20 deg tilt is a
compromise.

I've never worked on a caliper with 4 pistons. Does anyone know if
there's anything similar done with them?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org