[T3] Big Foot Pedal assembly ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 21 04:38:32 PDT 2017

On 21 Jun 2017 at 7:03, SAW DUST wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 12:43 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org<mailto:jadney at vwtype3.org>> wrote:
>
> On 17 Jun 2017 at 19:43, SAW DUST wrote:
>
> I was considering buying one of the "Big Foot" pedal assembly's for my
> 67 Notch. Please, and feedback, Pros  and Cons, preferences would be
> appreciated.
>
> Not sure what that is. Do you have a link to an ad?
>
> Here is a link to one of the Big foot assemblies
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1340666

That's an interesting mod. It looks like it might be useful if you have really
wide feet or are wearing heavy boots that tend to get caught up in the
pedals, but I've found that I have more trouble between the brake and
accelerator than between the brake and clutch. Before you do something like
this, you should check in your footwell to see how close this brings the clutch
pedal to the wheelwell, as space is pretty tight to the left side of the driver's
footwell.

Note that if you do this mod, you'll also have to mod the slotted plate under
the pedals, to let the offset clutch arm get thru. They don't mention this, but I
don't think Beetles have that plate.

The slot in the carpet will also have to be widened.

Looking closely at the photos, you can see that the alum spacer gives you
something like 3/4" of offset to the shaft, but the side by side photo clearly
shows much more change in the pedal position. If you look closely at the
clutch pedal arms, you can see that they have bent the extended arm to give
more offset to the pedal. The offset pedal is now also a bit lower than it was.
So the photo is deceiving in that ~2/3 of the final offset is due to simply
bending the clutch pedal arm. If you just wanted a bit of extra room, you
could just bend the arm like they did.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org