[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 21 04:50:21 PDT 2017

On 20 Jun 2017 at 19:03, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> The in-town gas mileage on my ´69 FI Squareback has taken a nosedive
> recently. Normally at this time of year in NYC, I get around 20mpg
> when doing my normal commuting and putting around. It´s 18mpg in the
> winter. My last few tanks have averaged a miserable 16.25mpg!!

The voltage readings you gave all sound to me like they are within
reasonable ranges, but I'd like to hear more about what voltages you see
while driving. So far, I don't see any reason to suspect a problem with the
battery or the charging system.

So why has your gas mileage gone south?

You gave a good list of the things you've checked, including the SP wires.
Did you check each resistance? Any chance that one SP connector resistor
has gone open? That can give you an intermittent miss, which will suck gas.

Any sign of clicking relays when the engine speed inexplicably drops?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org