[T3] 914 conversion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 22 15:09:37 PDT 2017

On 22 Jun 2017 at 13:47, Ray Gifford wrote:

> I have a chance to pick up a '76 914 with good 1.8 motor and 5 speed.
> Any thoughts on using that in a 65 notch?

A couple problems:

The 1.8 engine is a bit of an orphan, so simple parts, like gasket sets and
piston rings, tend to be much more expensive (4x) than even the 2.0 parts.
The 914 engine sits "backwards" in the 914, so you would need to replace
all the lower cooling tin to allow cooling air to exit properly in your Notch.

The 5 speed is probably longer that your 4 speed, so serious mods would
have to be made to the body to fit it in, and because you're turning it around,
you'd need to flip the ring & pinion unless you wanted 5 speeds in reverse.
Doing this correctly is such a complicated job, that few places have the
instruments to do it right. The 914 shift linkage is unique and I don't know
what it would take to adapt it to the VW.

Basically, this is a HUGE custom job. Nothing about this would be simple or
cheap, even if they gave you the 914 for free. Probably cheaper and simpler
to restore the 914. They are great cars when they are done right.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org