[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jun 23 13:09:45 PDT 2017

There's a wire-wound resistor molded into the brown SP connectors. These
tend to fail at some point, leaving a gap that the spark must jump across.
The gap in tiny at first, so the spark jumps that gap easily, but the gap
grows
as the spark erodes it away. Eventually it gets so large that the spark
can't
always jump across. The time between the first tiny gap and the appearance
of running symptoms could be months, even on a daily driver.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Ahh... Memories! on the last half hour heading for Winnemucca NV on the way
to the first invasion I started noticing an occasional miss, this got worse
and worse till we all arrived and I was on 3 cylinders getting off the
highway.  Looked at the engine in the dark before dinner and one cable lit
up like a christmas tree... the gap has become so long that it was looking
to jump to ground anywhere it could, and with a good coil the voltage can
get high enough to find others paths.