[T3] Strange Fuel Gauge Behavior

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Jun 1 15:19:36 PDT 2017

There's no damping in the Type 3 electrical gauge, which is why it shows the
level instantly.  I'm guessing there's a bit of deposit on the wires inside
the sender tube which is making the float stick for a time at the full
position after refuelling.  Presumably it drops again at some point.  It can
be a fraught job to pull the gauge apart and get the float sliding smoothly,
and a higher than even chance of breaking the hair-like wire in the process.
It will be much safer to just live with the slight stickiness.  Take a look
at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/fuelsend.htm if you want to see a diagram of
what's inside.

The problem with 4-way flashers sounds like a bad earth somewhere. Does the
gauge move up in the interval between flashes?

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club