[T3] 914 conversion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 24 05:50:34 PDT 2017

I  must have missed this post, somehow:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Brion Sabbatino <brionsab at msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Ray,
> >
> > The 1976 914 originally had a 2.0 Liter engine. The 1.8 is not original to
> > the car.

Looking at my literature, most of it gives no mention of there being ANY '76
914s, but one of my catalogs mentions only a 2 liter for that year. It might be
worthwhile to double check the VIN and note that the 3rd digit of the VIN is a
6, for '76. You might find that it's actually a 5, for '75

For each year that I was aware of, 914s came with a choice of 2 engines.
For the first 3 years, '70-2, you could choose a 1.7 or a 2.0, and for '73-5 you
could choose 1.8 or 2.0. It sounds like VW-Porsche had a few leftover 2.0s
which they decided to sell as '76s.

At any rate, it's probably worthwhile to figure out what's really in the car. 2.0
engine numbers start with GA or GB while 1.8 engines start with EC or AN,
and 1.7 engines start with W, EA, or EB. And even those can be misleading
if the engine has been rebuilt as a diferent size than what that case originally
came with.

And, yes, the 2.0 is worth MUCH more than the 1.7 or 1.8. Everyone wants a
2.0; no one wants the smaller engines.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org