[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 26 21:25:37 PDT 2017

On 26 Jun 2017 at 21:53, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I wanted to add that I pulled the spark plugs a few hours ago and
> found that 1 and 4 were fouled and 2 and 3 were white as heck

This is all dissapointing. It sounds like your efforts to tighten the
connectors didn't work out as hoped. There are a couple possible
causes for this. It's possible that you didn't squeeze the connectors
hard enough. They are small and stiff, so it takes a bit of pressure
to have an effect. Unfortunately, there's a fine line between enough
pressure and too much pressure. That's why you have to check each
female pin on a male pin before you put them back into the connector
body.

The other possibility is that these connectors have been manipulated
too many times and they have passed their fatigue limit. Once past
that limit, they will crack along the side and no further tightening
will ever be possible. At that point, the only option is to replace
the pin, which requires expensive tooling and hard to find pins.

If you can get here, I have the tooling and the pins, but you have to
get here on all 4 cylinders.

The wires in your photos look fine. It's pretty typical to see the
insulation pulled out of the rear crimp. I don't see any broken
strands and the important front crimps look good.

You should also check the tightness of each of the several ground
connections at the center of the case. Two of those carry the 4
injector currents. It's important to note that when Bosch made their
harnesses, they made them such that neither crimp connector carried
two currents at the same time. So, for example the ground wires for 1
& 2 (or 1 & 3) could be crimped together, but not 1 & 4, since 1 & 4
fire together.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org