[T3] Need Eberspacher BN-2 info

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 20 09:46:38 PDT 2017

On 19 Mar 2017 at 17:59, Max Welton wrote:

> My main worry is the condition of the pump diaphragm. Do such things go bad
> just sitting on the shelf?

Good luck on finding the manual. My only concern about installing one of these
would be that you have to cut a hole in the inner fender wall for the exhaust. This
is an opening for water to enter and rust to start. For a seldom used car, this
may not be a problem, but then again a seldom used car wouldn't need the
heater.

As far as the pump diaphram goes, I'd be concerned that over a long time it
might dry out and then crack the first time it was asked to flex. This might be
much less likely if it was actually NOS and had never before been exposed to
gas. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest pushing gas thru the pump and leaving it
there for several days before you ever try to run the pump. This should get the
diaphram as flexible as it's every going to get.

If that doesn't work, I have some silicone impregnated fabric that Russ gave me
a few years ago, if you're willing to try making your own replacement diaphram.

I'm guessing Ark Mirvis (Mirvus?), the Heaterman, isn't around anymore. If you
can find him, he would have whatever you need.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org