[T3] Steering box play

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 25 19:22:08 PDT 2017

On 25 Mar 2017 at 19:43, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I got under the car today and thereTMs loads of play in the output
> shaft¦.I could clearly see the shaft moving in and out when Jessica
> turned the steering wheel¦.itTMs not a loose drop arm. For whatever
> reason, I pressed up on the drop arm around where the output shaft was.
> The thunk went away and Jessica said?the steering wheel got much less
> sloppy.

Play in the output shaft should be just a few 0.001". If it's significant, then
either a snap ring has come loose or something has worn completely away.
It's possible that it could be repaired, but it would have to come out of the car
to do it. And even then it's quite possible that it would not be fixable.

Just a reminder: I have a OE steering box here that I believe you have
agreed to buy. We just have to settle up. I think I'm waiting for a box from
you.

BTW, if you're still thinking about getting the fuel pump for your heater
repaired, I could drill and tap and send you some suitable diaphram material
if you are willing to take responsibility for making and installing the
diaphram.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org