[T3] Steering box play

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 26 20:04:01 PDT 2017

On 26 Mar 2017 at 20:31, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> Up-and-down play at the shaft the drop arm bolts to (aka the roller
> shaft) is adjustable via the small adjuster screw on the top cover of
> the steering box.

That's not quite right. The adjustment screw should be captured in
the top of the shaft by a snap ring. The amount of play in there is
adjusted by exchanging shims. You're supposed to chose a shim that
allows the screw to turn in the shaft with minimum play. See the
Bentley, Ch 7, pg. 35. There's a very good photo, Fig. 10-22.

It's possible that the aftermarket TRW steering boxes have eliminated
this feature. I can see that this would be one way to make the boxes
cheaper.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org