[T3] Steering box play

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Mon Mar 27 15:29:19 PDT 2017

> I had to go downstairs and verify that the cover was Alum, and it is. But
> where is the brass bushing. I'd also forgotten that the roller shaft went up
> into the cover, so that, while the face of the adjusting screw takes all the
> thrust, there's a bearing there to take the side load.

Sorry, brain fart on my part; I meant bronze bushing.  The VW steering boxes have a bronze bushing for the upper part of the roller shaft that goes up into the cover.  The TRW ones do not.

> I don't spend much time on the samba. It's a great web site, but there are
> only so many hours in the day. Do you have a link to Tim's thread, or just his
> name on that site. I'd like to see what he's doing.

Yes, I think you’ll find his steering box thread to be extremely informative (and very well illustrated).

His name on the samba is OKType3Tim, the thread is available below:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446 <https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446>

Long thread but worth a read.

The whole thing started when he got a TRW steering box that had a machining defect in the housing that kept it from mounting properly to the front axle beam.

> I bought a few of the VW shims a few years ago, when I was going thru the
> only steering gearbox I ever messed with, which was mostly out of curiosity..
> Are people finding them to be a big problem? I've never had any real trouble
> with them.

I think the issue is that when rebuilding, if you are setting it up as per Bentley, you may find that you need different shims than what you have in your existing box.

-Sean