[T3] 1971 Fastback with Electrical issu

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 9 07:46:33 PDT 2017

Art,

There were some mid-year wiring changes in '71, so it may help to look at
the '70 diagram (if you have an early '71) or the '72 diagram if you have a
late one. I had a late '71 that seemed all messed up, but eventually I figured
out that it came this way from the factory. It was "right" but it wasn't the
scheme shown in the Bentley.

Get a multimeter and learn how to use it. Yes, it's hard to see the numbers
on the headlight and E-flasher switches. It may be useful to have someone
to help, so you can connect a mystery wire to power and have them tell you
what came on (hi-beams, lo-beams, parking lights, nothing, etc.)

The key to this is working slowly and not taking anything apart without
making notes. Do one step at a time.

Fuel pump relays (plural?): There's only one fuel pump relay; it's under the
dash. The FI main power relay looks the same but it's mounted to the rear
seat kick panely behind the driver's seat. If it does not come on, there's a
problem with the wiring from the ign switch to that relay.

If the FI main power relay clicks, but the pump relay does not, there are a lot
of things that can cause this, but you should straighten out your problems
under the dash first.

Jim

On 8 May 2017 at 18:23, art sterrett wrote:

> Some time ago I wrote about headlight problems on this car.  I have had
electrical issues with this car from the start.  I had to replace the headlight
switch because it fell apart internally and I could not get the lights to work.
After I had everything back together the emergency flasher would not work,
took it all apart again and replaced the emergency flasher switch.  In the
meantime after dropping the fuse box to get to the switches some of the
wires fell off the spades.  I have tried to put them back using the Bentley and
now find myself in a mess.  Before I got this car someone had butchered the
wiring on this car, the colors on the wiring donTMt match what I find in the
Bentley and I have put some wires in the wrong place because now I have
no emergency flasher, or turn signals, ect.  Looking for some advice and
recommendations on how to proceed in getting everything back in order so
things will work.  After several days I am beginning to feel like I am losing the
battle.  Help will be appreciated!  Thank You!  Also the fuel pump relays
have quit working?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org