[T3] Distributor Drive Gear Position

Jaime Gurrola elpuerco66 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 06:46:32 PDT 2017

    Does it matter whether the distributor drive gear is oriented, as
per Bently, in type 3 vs type 1 position.  In a recent rebuild, I
decided to set the drive gear in the type 1 position to allow me to
install the 009 distributor so that the condensor would not interfere
with fan housing and generator.  This put the #1 position at around 4-5
o'clock like in a Beetle.  My temps have always been on the high side,
could the orientation of the drive gear have any affect on oil temps and
CHT?   My reasoning is that that VW engineered the #3 cyl with a few
degrees of retard in the distributor. Did VW simply adjust the gear
orientation to allow for the installation of the distrbutor?  Should I
keep looking elsewhere for solutions to overheating, primairly timing
and mixture?