[T3] Tie Rods

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed May 24 04:08:13 PDT 2017

I use a screw ball-joint separator - never had a problem, and it doesn't
damage the boot (in case you want to re-use the joint).  Undo the nut (the
split pin will be sheared off by the nut if you can't get it out) and just
turn the large nut until the joint pops out.  It's easier than trying to
shock the taper loose with a hammer where space is tight, and wasn't very
expensive.

If you've spare tie-rods, it would make most sense to just swap one in.  At
least you can then address the separation of the other in a bench vice
(vise), probably with more heat.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club