[T3] AAR woes

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed May 24 21:26:15 PDT 2017

Ray is thinking of the more complex crankcase breather/PCV valve used on the Type 4 engines.  On those, the AAR leak and the PCV airflow interact in a way I don’t quite follow (not having taken one apart), but it makes it more important for the AAR to close as completely as possible on the Type 4.
On the simpler breather/PCV system of the Type 3 engines, this doesn’t happen, and the AAR is simply a temperature-sensitive air bleed that augments the throttle plate and idle air adjustment screw, as Jim posted.  No need to overthink our Type 3 AAR system.
-Phil