[T3] 1971 Clutch Job

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 20:18:25 PST 2017

I did not replace gland nut.  Didn't have big enough socket or wrench anyhow.  Little finger test and flashlight look inside felt no roughness or sticky needle bearings.  And yes, that was well greased before putting things together.  And flywheel had no gouges from disk rivets.

But...there's maybe over 2 inches of play in clutch pedal.  Does that automatically mean cable is damaged...stretched...or something?  When engine was out I managed to actually get the frozen wing nut cable adjuster to turn...but that will still be a bear of a job now...since it's hard to get tools up into that area from underneath.    So, if it's likely that the old cable is stretched, it would be a lot easier to just cut the old one off and put in the best looking of my spare cables (w/ easy-to-turn wing-nut), if the correct length measurement can be found somewhere.

Now...the car runs fine, through all gears (incl. reverse).  I just had to re-learn how to use the clutch pedal in a car without a slipping clutch disk.

Next:  Back to figuring out why both horn and turn signals don't work.  Both are about the steering wheel area.  That must be a clue...especially since fuses are all good.