[T3] Fuel

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 6 14:07:36 PST 2017

On 6 Nov 2017 at 14:10, art sterrett wrote:

> Has anyone had problems using the ethanol based gasoline?  I´ve been
> using regular gas without ethanol and other than the fact that it is
> expensive the fastback seems to run well on it.  I´ve heard that it is
> not good to run ethanol in the air cooled engines.  Would like to hear
> what others think or have experienced!

I run regular gasohol in all my Type 3s and it has never caused me any
problems.

There appears to be a huge crowd of alarmists out there who are eager to
blame everything from low-T to the loss of the Ross Ice Shelf on alcohol in
gasoline. There were some clear concerns about this, as there was with lead
free gas, in the beginning, but I don't think any of that actually came to pass.

What's much less clear is whether there's any real point. The reason for
adding alcohol to gas was to stretch our supply of gasoline by augmenting it
with a cheaper alternative. The problem is that it looks like raising,
transporting, fermenting, and processing the crops from which ethanol is
made may consume more gas than it replaces. If that's true, it's all pointless.

While it may have been a good thing for midwest farmers who grew those
crops, and Archer Daniels Midland who controls much of that market, it may
not be good for us overall.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org