[T3] Master Brake Cylinder

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 15 19:35:51 PST 2017

VW used at least 5 different designs of tandem MCs from '67 to '73,
from 2 different makers. As time passed, VW only supplied the latest
version for replacement into earlier cars, so there were often
accomodations that were needed.

Beetle and Bus MCs are physically different from ours. For example, a
Beetle MC has tapped bolt holes in its mounting flange.

The correct MC for your '71 has the 2 brake light switches on the
driver's side and an angled port on the front to feed the LF caliper
via an odd brake line that loops around under the MC and out to the
left. This is the replacement configuration for all Type 3s with
tandem MCs, unless the original can be rebuilt.

The MC you have with one switch in front was for '70 only. If you
compare the size of the drilling at the bottom of that port to any of
the ones on the right side, you will see that the switch ports have
larger drillings at the bottom. They work best with switches, since
they allow air to get out of the switches better when bleeding.

Old MCs saved and stored wet with brake fluid are seldom good
candidates for reuse without honing. Take one apart and see what it
looks like inside. Look at the condition of the rubber seals. I
suspect you'll discover several of the reasons for rebuilding.
There's some chance that you won't even be able to get both pistons
out, because of rust in the bore.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org