[T3] Question about 73 T-3 oil cooler mounting.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 12 05:51:17 PDT 2017

On 11 Oct 2017 at 22:48, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I would just like to know what was used as far and washers and  lock
> washers on the one stud and 2 bolts.

Originally, the bolt heads were on the underside and on top there was a thin
flat washer, a wavy washer and then the nut. Doing it this way requires
putting the bolts in place before installing the cylinders.

The thick spacer washers were used only up thru '69, and those engines
also had a tiny sheet metal piece installed around the case lugs which kept
air from leaking out thru the space under the cooler. Starting in '70, the
spacer washers and the sheet tin bit were dropped, and the cooler seals
were much thinner.

When rebuilding a '70 or later case, I usually add a thin wavy washer or 2
between the cooler and the case, on each of the 3 bolts, but this depends on
how hard the cooler seals are. Many of the late cooler seals available today
are quite hard and would require way too much force to compress the cooler
all the way down against the case.

I like Bob's approach of using Nylock nuts if you end up installing the nuts on
the underside.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org