[T3] Question about 73 T-3 oil cooler mounting.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Oct 12 11:04:44 PDT 2017

 I know I put the long bolts through from the top although I can't recall
exactly why . It  was probably because the only bolts I had were on the 73 X
case and I only removed the heads for the super cooling tin and the bolts
were already going through from the top. I knew from photo's in the Benley
they should go in before the cylinders are installed . I should have pulled
the 73 cylinders and placed the bolt the proper way.  On the 72 case which
is the one i rebuilt I tossed the tin because it was all bend and out of
shape and some was missing.

 I have no idea of the history of either engine . At some point someone must
have worked on the 73 X001 0758 case and put the bolts in the wrong way.

 What's odd to me is that both engines had three of the spacers . The 72
case is  U503 33105 and both coolers and cases are 10 mm .

 I'm certain I would have used flat washers and lock washers under the nuts
on the long bolts and need to look again to be sure I actually have three
spacers as washers on top of the cooler , they certainly looked much thicker
than a normal flat washer..

 I did try to pull on the long bolt heads and they did not budge and could
see one seal and it was conpressed even .

 I recall when I first got this car in 85 I removed all the tin , removed
the cooler and replaced the seals and flushed out the cooler I recall
soaking it in carb cleaner we had at the ford shop I worked at then flushing
it in mineral spirits and blowing it out. PLus replacing all the hoses fuel
and vacuum and injector seals . I even went as far as to remove the fan
housing and breather stand and flushed out the engine with mineral spirits
because who even owned it before either rarely changed oil or used cheap oil
. I just flushed it using one of those siphon type long tipped blow guns as
best I could. That engine did last from 85 to 97  then suddenly developed a
rather loud cam speed rattle yet it still ran well. and had good oil
pressure.

 To be honest I was surprised to find the long oil cooler bolts in the wrong
way , I never paid any attention to this , never had a reason to look. I
used the same crank and cam out of the 72 when I rebuilt it since they
looked and checked out fine and had standard bearings and left the 10mm head
studs since not one tried to turn or pull when I torqed the heads down. I
cleaned the 72 case at work , used the big washer they use for the auto
trans rebuilds and blew out every oil passage including the crankshaft .
Used a new oil pump correct German one . I might have 50K on this engine
now, All new bearings and cylinder hits and had the heads done . More than
anything else I have oil leaks not bad just drips that get blown everywhere.

 I do want to at least pull the tin and clean the case off and change the
cooler seals and make certain the cooler fins are clear. I does seem to run
cool . I even replaced the two oil relief valves and springs when I rebuilt
it with new ones and have new spares.