[T3] I tried seaching on Samba on the subject of engine oil .

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 16 16:55:32 PDT 2017

well, first off 10w30 is best for a new engine with tight clearances,
the thick oil wont get thru a new bearing as well and yes, will bypass the
cooler more.  As the engine ages increase the viscosity more.  multi vis
oils will give you the benefit of the viscosity enhancers that the single
vis ones wont.

A new engine, properly built will run 38 psi or more on the highway with
10W30 on a hot day, it will tap on the relief valve a bit, my engine had
about 12PSI oil pressure at idle with 10w30 after a long haul on the highway
on a hot day when it was new.

161Kmi later, I run 25W50, it has about 4PSI oil pressure at idle under the
same hot conditions and runs 28 or so on the highway.

You DO need the ZDDP, some cams seem to hold up better than others but I
used the crap oil in the car for some years before I knew and my cam is now
rather worn last I looked.  Fresh builds were dropping like flies when the
zinc was removed.

you can add it but remember, too much is bad too.  The Pennzoil racing oil
25w50 HAS it in it, but for a lower viscosity the Joe Gibbs is my choice.

Just dont use the Synthetics, its quick death without an oil filter and even
with, you run 20F or hotter.

Now we see if Vader lurks in the shadows :-)

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback  "Hothe"