[T3] Clutch Plate update...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 30 06:57:59 PDT 2017

On 29 Oct 2017 at 20:56, J. Jonik wrote:

> Status now is...can't shift when engine running...that's with clutch pedal in or out, no difference.

Okay, so you're back where you started, indicating that the drive train was
just "bound up" locking the tranny in gear.

> * No, didn't grease anything before assembly.

It's always good to put a little grease on the needle bearing in the gland bolt,
but it will probably be fine.

> * Clutch cable seems like it could use about 3/4 inch snugging up. The
> adjust wing-nut end should be just touching the lever, but not enough
> to put tension on the cable, right?

You're WAY out of adjustment. There should be tension on the cable when it
is properly adjusted, but if the spring at the arm on the tranny is broken,
there won't be, and it will be very difficult to see if the adjustment is correct.
Those springs are cheap, I stock them, and they are relatively easy to install,
especially since you've already got the wing nut freed up. Replace your
spring then adjust for ~3/4" of free play at the pedal.

The spring is important because it keeps the throwout bearing from riding
lightly on the pressure plate all the time, which causes unnecessary wear to
both.

> * If I push the pedal way down, there's a clunk noise.  What's that?
> Clue to something?

Not sure, but it may go away once you get the return spring and free play all
good.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org