[T3] Question 73 T-3 FI /auto trans.Grounds on engine.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 30 06:57:59 PDT 2017

On 29 Oct 2017 at 17:03, William J wrote:

> I cleaned all the grounds on the two brass trees. I did the trees and the male spade ends.

I've never found this to be helpful. It's always tempting to think that clean is
good, but the only thing that really matters is that the connectors are tight. If
they are tight they will make good contact. If they are loose the connection
will be intermittent, so tightening them will be important. When you clean
them, most of what you clean has no role in making a good connection.

>  The Bentley page 19 fuel injection section is just no where close ,
> it tells you the injector grounds are on the top cover plates.

I'm guessing that you have a Calif car with EGR. That adds a LOT of extra
wiring to the system. The Bentley didn't cover all of that. I have one of those,
too, and, yes, it's a lot more complicated system.

>  Is there a better wiring schematic out there ?

Yes, the Bosch literature covers all the FI versions. There must have been
VW literature that did, too. I don't think the dealer E manuals covered this,
but I'll bet it was in the K manual.

>  Why would they do it this way?

Bentley had to stop somewhere. This is one place where they made that
decision. It was just a matter of economics.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org