[T3] Clock Fuse, power draw

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 21 11:08:37 PDT 2017

On 21 Oct 2017 at 10:41, Phil Hof wrote:

> Are we talking about the newer quartz type clock, or the older solenoid "thunker?"

Either one. I suspect the long term current draw is similar. I'm not worried
about what happens overnight or in a day or 2, but some of my Type 3s sit
for a month or several months without being driven. Right now our street is
under construction and nothing can get in or out of our driveway from
mid-Sept to maybe 2 weeks from now.

I've added a trickle charger to the car that sits in the garage over the winter,
but I figure the battery would be better off if the charger and clock weren't
working against one another.

And for those who don't have a charger, the old thumper clocks are known to
run down the battery and then blow their internal fuse.

It sure seems like it would have been good to run the clock off a fuse that
could be easily removed before storage. That might be easy up to '70, but
after that the clock wire comes from the headlight switch, which means that
moving it would require removing the headlight switch, which is beyond what
most owners want to attempt, because it takes a special tool to
remove/install it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org