[T3] Is there an adjustable pedal stop on 73 SB auto trans ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 14 06:08:34 PDT 2017

On 13 Sep 2017 at 17:04, William J wrote:

>  I never looked yet for some reason there is more free play on the push
>  rod than I feel is normal . Bentley states 1 mm at the MC and provides
>  manual trans specs as far as the pedal stop and how far the pedal should
>  be from the firewall .
>
>  I don't have brake issues yet if I move the pedal by hand to feel the
>  push rod free play at the pedal it's at least 1/2" or better.

The short answer is that there is an adjustable pedal stop (for the rear,
relaxed position of the pedal) and the pushrod is also adjustable.

The long answer is that the ~9/16" that you measure is perfectly normal and
you should not touch the stop or the pushrod unless you have the proper
gauge.

Adjustment of the AT and MT pedal is identical. The 1 mm clearance is not
an exact measurement, the important thing is that there be SOME free play,
but not too much. The difference between the 1 mm and the 1/2" is due to
the mechanical advantage of the pedal. Yes, it's annoying that they give us
the measurement we can't measure and omit the one we can, but what you
observe on your car sounds fine. Don't touch it; that would be a mistake.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org