[T3] body and pan removal

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 24 15:12:16 PDT 2018

On 24 Apr 2018 at 17:49, DOUGLAS NUNES wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a link somewhere explaining and or
> showing how to remove the body and pan from a type 3.  How difficult
> and time consuming is it?  I need to repair my pan but recently
> acquired a great pan so I will be changing it instead of patching it.

I don't know of a link. A pan swap is probably one of those things that's
conceptually simple while being actually quite complicated. There will be a
huge amount of dis- and re-assembly.

One thing to keep in mind is that MT and AT pans are different. And if you
do a pan swap you now have a car that has 2 different VINs. The VIN that
counts is the one on the pan, so it's best if you get the title that goes with the
pan, too.

Another thing to consider is that as you take the good body off the bad pan,
you're likely to discover that the bottom edges of the "good" body are not as
good as you thought they were. And this is going to make putting things back
together difficult.

Overall, I'd assume it's a huge job. I've never done one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org