[T3] 2018 Type 3 Invasion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Apr 19 08:14:01 PDT 2018

On 19 Apr 2018 at 4:43, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> I don't miss that east coast winter salting and brining. Here in the west
> bare steel develops a protective surface finish.

In addition to stainless steels, which avoid rust by quickly developing an
invisible protective layer of  nickel and chromium oxides on their surface,
there is also COR-TEN steel (trademark of U.S. Steel) which develops a thin
rust coating that then impedes further rusting. Other than that, all steels rust,
but the environment determines the rate.

Yes, you're lucky to live in a dry environment, but even there your parts will
rust if you wait long enough.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org