[T3] Tight Engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 2 07:43:01 PDT 2018

On 1 Aug 2018 at 22:15, Keith Park wrote:

> This may be a better idea than sucking it thru the tiny T4 one, but then
> again, thats what they did...

>From what you're saying, I get the impression that the T4 inlet bellows is
smaller than the T3 one. If that's the case, would it be possible to cut the
bellows mount rim out of a T3 pulley housing and marry it to the T4 inlet
housing? That would allow you to use the larger T3 inlet bellows.

I don't remember what this looks like on a T4, but I do recall that the T4 tin
has to have a gap there to let the alternator belt out. On the photo that
William showed from thesamba, that's been converted to an enclosed belt
and alternator pulley, a la T3. Nice idea, but a lot of work to fabricate well.

Such a housing also has to provide for swinging the alternator to adjust the
belt tension, since the T4 alternator uses a pulley with fixed sides rather than
the shim adjustable pulley as used on T1, T2, & T3.

The T4 alternator also gets cooling air via a rubber tube which feeds
pressurized air in it's backside that exhausts behind the pulley. I assume
your setup is the same.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org