[T3] Threaded Insert on Trans mounting bolt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 2 07:43:01 PDT 2018

On 2 Aug 2018 at 7:53, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> Ok guys.  What is the recommended thing to do here.  I have a late model
> aftermarket case that has the threaded insert on the drivers side top trans
> bolt.  But i have an early trans ('69) that has the lip on the bolt to
> accept the original D-shaped bolt.  Do I remove the threaded insert, and if
> so, how?  Or do I ground down the transmission case enough to get a normal
> bolt on there.

The insert is easy to remove, just screw a long bolt into it from the tranny
side and drive it out with a couple of hammer blows. Save the insert, it can
be put back later if you want.

I've never ground away clearance in the tranny for a standard bolt, but that
might be a good option. You should check first to make sure there's plenty of
meat under there. You'd have to make enough clearance for both the hex
head AND a socket.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org