[T3] Tight Engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 3 15:39:48 PDT 2018

On 3 Aug 2018 at 19:55, Dave Hall wrote:

> Wouldn't that expand the length of the aluminium crankcase more than the
> steel crankshaft? It's counter- intuitive, but doesn't the hole expand the
> same as the metal that would be inside?

The HOLE in the case and bearing will expand more than the crankshaft
expands radially, but the #1 main bearing would also expand more in the
axial direction than the crankshaft underneath it, thus reducing the end play.

I checked my manuals and it appears that the end play specs for both are
the same. That makes sense if the LENGTH of the #1 main bearings are
about the same.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a way for heat to cause radial
interference between case and crank, but axial interference might be
possible if the end play was too low when cold.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org