[T3] Spark Plug Lubricant

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 7 21:45:51 PDT 2018

On 7 Aug 2018 at 22:44, J. Jonik wrote:

> I learned not to use oil to lubricate spark plugs and thought I had
> graphite lubricant...but no luck.  BUT I found a tube of  Permatex
> Aluminium Anti-Sieze Lubricant.  Is that for spark plugs?

Using oil is better than putting them in dry, but the Permatex should work
quite well. One thing to be careful of is that it's easy to get a buildup of
excess antiseize around the entrance to the threaded hole in the head, and
that can sometimes transfer to the working end of the spark plug when
you're putting it in.

Permatex sells a number of different antiseize products, and I think they all
contain some kind of metal. If that metal gets on the plug insulator, it can
short out the spark, so you need to be careful about how much you use and
where you put it.

My preference for spark plug threads is any kind of moly disulfide paste,
Molycote G or U paste, or an equivalent. It doesn't take much, and you don't
even need to put fresh stuff on each time, it coats the threads in the head so
you don't always need more. And you don't need to clean it out, ever.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org