[T3] Who sells these caliper kits for my 73 type 3?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:45:14 PDT 2018

I always felt the main intent of rebuilding any caliper was to at least
replace both the seals and the boots as well as inspect and clean the
pistons and bores. I used to do them all the time back when I lived in IL
where a tech did all the work on the repair order . Most caliper's were one
piston yet on Lincolns and some of the full size Fords they used 4 piston
calipers as well as 2 piston. Of course there were wash bins which I don't
have and wire wheels to clean off casting rust. One main difference was new
parts were available as well as complete new units. Many of the rebuild
kits back then also included assembly paste in a small tube, it was the
same for all makes you got everything needed same with VW .

 One mistake I made was not taking the calipers off the 72 square I had as
a parts car , never thought about it at the time, if I had I would at least
have something I could work with while still being able to drive my only
mode of transport .

 I was a bit surprised at the cost of the kit . I can get the seals and
boots and thought I saw the positioning plates as a separate item on some
site . I do know the pistons are not frozen and here since we don't deal
with road salts the calipers on my car only have surface rust not that
heavy scale rust I used to deal with and last time I bleed the calipers was
about 1998 the bleeders came loose easy yet who knows now after 20 years .
We don't get much rain and they look fine yet I can't see the threads in
the caliper and the hex are not rounded . Then again in 98 one could still
get a new caliper so if a bleeder snapped I had access to ways to get them
out . They are my main concern now. My not working on cars daily as I did
back then sort of lose the feel of judging how much force to apply . I
haven't run across one bolt or nut anywhere on this car , even ones under
the car that did not break loose with little effort. Of course a bleeder is
a hollow bolt making it much more fragile.

 From your description above that you don't use the entire kit I would
imagine what parts are replaced is based on the overall condition of a
caliper yet imagine you would replace the piston seals as well as the boots
. This may depend if a piston is stuck , usually piston seals survive as
long as no piston rust exists or leaks are evident . For me I prefer to
replace the seals based on age alone.

William

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>