[T3] Who sells these caliper kits for my 73 type 3?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 14 13:04:44 PDT 2018

On 14 Aug 2018 at 9:45, William Jahn wrote:

> I always felt the main intent of rebuilding any caliper was to at least
> replace both the seals and the boots as well as inspect and clean the
> pistons and bores.

Of course that's what the parts people want you to do. They're in the
business to sell parts, not save you money. The seals are usually fine, but
bad ones get sorted out when I clean and inspect everything. Most of the
labor is in getting everything apart and then cleaning up the bores. The
pistons are easy to clean up.

> Many of the rebuild kits back then also included assembly paste in a small
> tube, it was the same for all makes you got everything needed same with VW

I've never had a ATe, FAG, or FTE rebuild kit that came with any kind of
assembly paste. It would have been nice, but they just don't do it. I use 2
different kinds of silicone lubricant that I have to buy separately.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org