[T3] does anyone use the newer or replacement voltage regulator?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 16 18:24:45 PDT 2018

On 16 Aug 2018 at 16:21, willjahn wrote:

> I find when I check for a parasitic drain and found 4.85 mA it is when I
> disconnect the red/white lead from the battery to the VR . I first pulled
> fuse #9 on my 73 where the radio is connected and it dropped from 8.6 mA
> to 4.85. Then I pulled the red /white from the VR to the fuse box no
> change . A while back I contacted Bosch and they didnTMt have a schematic
> or even have a clue how it worked.

It's not too surprising that the local Bosch sales staff would not have
schematics for their new VRs, but I'm surprised that they drain even this
insignificant amount. OTOH, I'm sure the clock takes more, and I don't think
it's on any of the accessible fuses.

I wouldn't expect the radio to draw any current, unless it's a later aftermarket
radio with a digital clock. The clock display goes off on those radios when
you turn the car off, but there's a second power wire that keeps the clock
memory and timing going, even when the car and the radio are turned off.
That might draw about the amount of current you saw. If that was part of your
extra draw, I would have expected it to drop when you removed the red/wht
wire from the VR.

I don't know why any of the Sapphire radios would draw any current when
they are off.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org