[T3] Heater Tube

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Mon Aug 20 21:30:45 PDT 2018

On 08/20 21:09, Jeff C wrote:
> I was missing the small diameter tube that runs between the metal
> piece that fits between the fan exit and heat exchanger. It runs
> beneath the right upper tin to the heat exchanger.
>
> Turns out that standard 1" copper tubing is the same diameter. With a
> 90 degree elbow and another short piece of tubing and cutting a couple
> of slots, bingo, I have a tube now.
>
> Pictures of this along with my car out of hiding are on Flickr.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/135127011@N08/albums/72157700101067914

I'm no expert on the newfangled (read: November 1964 and newer) type 3
stock exhaust system, but I'm pretty sure that pipe is supposed to go
from the fan shroud elbow forward to a hose that is connected to the air
boxes at the entrance to the cabin.  They've got flaps and are
themostatically controlled by (again, I believe -- not certain here) the
air that passes through that pipe/hose.  A protection added against
melting the inside of your car when they improved the overall heating
capacity of the type 3 by adding those small "upper" heat exchangers.

Soren