[T3] Starting Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 21 20:11:50 PDT 2018

On 21 Aug 2018 at 17:18, matthew n stanfield wrote:

> Jim Adney wrote on 8/12/18 2:39 PM:

> > Do NOT let anyone talk you into any kind of rubberized or plastic coating
> > inside the gas tank. Phosphate coatings are okay, but the rubber ones will
> > clog passages in there that you'll never be able to clear.

> All that being said, are there additional passageways inside the tank
> besides the inlet and outlet that i need to be aware of?

Yes, don't do the rubber/plastic coating.

> Would just having it cleaned be sufficient? If so, they all said they
> use Muriatic Acid to clean out the tank. Is that something i can just do
> at home?

Yes, if you're careful. There are several ways to clean the tank.
Power washing would be a start, but people have put a few yards of
chain in the tank and swung it around with water to scour the rust
off. I don't know if that will get to all the extra important places
in a FI tank. There's a section of the Bentley that talks about
cleaning, using an acid first and then a phosphate coating. Look at
that.

All this has been talked about here many times.

There is a product called Evapo-Rust which is a water based product
that will remove rust, but I don't know how much 10 gallons of it
would cost, or whether you could dilute a smaller quantity to get
enough to fill the tank.

There is also an electrolytic way to remove rust. I'm not up on it,
but I could find out more. Or you could search YouTube for rust
removal and find the key ingredients. I've seen it done, and it
really works. Just fill the tank with the right solution, stick an
electrode into the solution such that it doesn't touch the tank, and
connect a battery charger, in the right polarity, to the tank and
electrode. It may take 24 hours to work completely.

If you're willing to do the research, I think the electrolytic method
is probably the best one. It should also get into all the little
nooks and crannys that we don't want to rubber coatings to block.

Whatever you do, it will rust again quickly if you don't do something
to prevent it. Coat with oil or a phosphate coating, or fill with
gas, fairly quickly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org