[T3] Gas Tank Rust?

Jeff C knowonelse at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:34:53 PDT 2018

About to put the engine in, so checked the gas tank. I might have a rust
problem.

I can see rusty color in the filler tank neck, and I took the fuel
gaugesender out and can see rusty color at the bottom too. I ran a wooden
stick along the bottom and didn't see obvious material being loosened.
Should I be concerned, or is this something the filter will deal with?

I felt around at the upper part of the inside of the tank around the fuel
gauge sender and did not feel any loose material.

Back when I had it running a few years ago, I cleaned out the tank with
kerosene and chain, and put no coating on it. There is about 3 inches of
gas in the tank now. I put a valve and a  filter between the exit from the
tank and the through line.

Pictures are here:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1845/44216007692_9b27a1ce07_s.jpg

Jeff '67 Sqbk