[T3] Late model help needed

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 25 19:05:06 PDT 2018

On 25 Aug 2018 at 14:29, B Fye wrote:

> Guys, I have a 72 with a weird ignition issue. If I turn the key to the on
> position I get nothing. if I turn it all the way to start it cranks over
> and will run until I release back to the on position. Then it dies. anybody
> have an idea whether or not this is the switch or the Tumblr or internal
> wiring in the steering column?

It pretty much has to be an ignition switch problem. It's not a key cylinder
problem. The good news is that the '72-3 switches are readily available and
cheap. I have them if you can't find one locally. There are several versions of
the late switches, used on lots of VWs from '72-on; the best way to make
sure you get the right one is to count the pins on the back of yours.

If you stick your head under the dash, you should be able to see a round
connector that plugs directly onto the back of the switch. Pull that off and
look at the pins on the rear of the switch.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org