[T3] Early heat exchangers update

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Wed Aug 29 00:48:16 PDT 2018

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 9:11 PM, mpitargue at gmail.com wrote:
>
> An update about my search for some early heat exchangers without the flap. ISP West had a pair. Received them today and they are in good shape. Surface rust but otherwise pretty solid. They have the blankets on them and they are clean without any oil. I will remove the blankets and will most likely get the heat exchangers ceramic coated and the skid plates powder coated, unless research says that's a bad idea. Then I will reinstall the blankets.  Wish I could find new straps to complete the restoration of the heat exchangers.

Glad you found some heat exchangers!  Ceramic coating seems to me like a waste of money to me (and subjectively, it looks dumb on a stock exhaust component).  The place most likely to rust out on a heat exchanger is where the exhaust pipe makes contact with the donut/clamp at the muffler.  Keep exhaust leaks in check and repair any loss of metal at that joint before it gets too bad and you should be able to keep those heat exchangers forever.

You can get original style 9mm straps and hardware here http://www.belmetric.com/normafix-normetta-clamp-banding-c-15_1322/

Soren