[T3] Type 3, Complete Stock Exhaust Replacement

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 29 17:54:41 PDT 2018

Today I had planned to replace the complete exhaust system on my '73
Square. That includes the muffler, damper, and all 4 heat exchangers.
Things went much better than they could have, but not as well as I had
hoped.

The good news is that I didn't break any exhaust studs. I got the car up on
the lift around 10 AM and by 1 PM I had everything off.

The bad news is that I discovered that the right lower heat exchanger that I
had prepped to be the replacement, was the wrong style. So I had to quit
and find a correct one.

I also discovered that both of the metal flex tubes for heated air were toast,
and I hadn't brought replacements. I did manage to save the heater cable
and one of the small fresh air tubes.

I'll start again tomorrow morning and hope to be done by noon or so. Putting
things back together is SO much easier than trying to get rusty parts apart.

All told, this is the very worst job there is on Type 3s, but it made a HUGE
difference to have a lift to do this on, and an oxy-acetylene torch for those
reluctant, 45 year old, nuts. That's right, this engine is a virgin, never been
touched. The muffer had been replaced a few times, but the lower heat
exchangers were held on by the original steel nuts with the stainless helicoil
inserts. That probably helped them come off. I have brass nuts to replace
them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org