[T3] Starting Again

matthew n stanfield vw70t3 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 10:06:23 PDT 2018

Hello all, it has been a long while (maybe 6 years) since i have posted
to this list. I am hoping to get serious this month and figure out why
my Fastback will not start and am hoping for some assistance / advice
from this list. (Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic. I enjoy working on my
car and can fix most things if i know what is wrong. My understanding of
how things work is relatively basic and troubleshooting is not my forte.)

Brief History:
1970 FI Manual Transmission Fastback purchased in 1997. It has spent the
better part of the last 21 years in my garage, not running. It ran when
i purchased it, but soon after the bearings spun. It took me a long
while to track down parts and finally had an engine assembled and ready
to put in my car in 2008. Much to my delight it started and we were able
to drive it around the block a few times. Being my first engine build,
there were some things i did wrong and i ended up tearing the engine
down and reassembling it. I never was able to get it started after that.
Then life, unemployment, and starting my own business got in the way and
i find myself 10 years later with a car sitting in my garage that i
would like to drive again.

Timeline:
2004 - Purchased an Engine Case, Rods, Bearings, Lifters, Pistons, and
Cylinders from the DDB.
2005 - Had the cam shaft polished at local machine shop.
2006 - Replaced the clutch.
2007 - Replaced all the brake lines, had Jim Adney rebuild Master
Cylinder and Rear Wheel Cylinders. Installed DOT 5 Brake Fluid.
2008 - Replaced all the rubber Fuel Lines. Installed Engine. Drove car
around the block a few times.
2011 - Had Jim Adney rebuild top half of fuel pump (it was leaking)

Nest Steps:
After reviewing some eMails i thought were relevant to my situation, i
came up with a list of 25 next steps. The first few are listed below for
your comment:

 1. Charge and install battery (probably will need replaced)
 2. Check FI system for relay clicks - one on key turn and one a second
    later
 3. Verify spark plugs are sparking
 4. Check injectors by loosening the distributor cap and rotating rotor
    CW with key on.
 5. Clean and test injectors for fuel spray.
 6. Check / adjust valve clearance.
 7. Check and adjust timing.

Any comment or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

matthew n stanfield
1970 VW FastBack
Mansfield, OHio