[T3] Valve Cover

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 16 18:24:46 PDT 2018

On 16 Aug 2018 at 10:50, willjahn wrote:

>  I used to get the gaskets from an independent VW repair shop. These were
>  to small and to thin and were the color of cork. I would have to use
>  contact cement to get them to fit the covers. I found the ones autozone
>  sells are much better and are dark like some mix of rubber and cork ,
>  they fit perfect and are thicker

The beige, cork colored ones, are the old style that are always dried out and
undersized. They will fully recover if they are heated in hot or boiling water. I
just verified this with a friend who used to do this in a VW dealership and
later in an independent shop. He says that he has hundreds of those old
style gaskets if anyone needs any.

I've always used the black, rubberized cork, gaskets. They don't shrink and
also seem to be thicker. They are great.

I've never done the hot water trick myself, but next time I have the need, I
plan to try it, if only to verify the process and to use up the couple of those
old cork gaskets that are still lying around here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org