[T3] Mystery cures...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 20:02:34 PDT 2018

'71 /t-3 Std. A little resistant when starting...but then catches fine, no smoke or anything..but then runs sorta rough.   Did clean up of connections, timing and all that and it seemed better.  Then same thing...resistant starting...took a few key turns etc.  Then rough for a while...then...ker-pow....like it cleared it's throat and performed perfectly after a little bit of driving.
   What to think?  Have a new fuel filter...tidied up connections...even used a bit of higher octane gas for a little treat.   But I don't like that it doesn't want to instantly start, even an hour or so after driving, or the next morning....but it always then starts....and no sense of it wanting to stall...no red lights flickering, no backfires, no smoke, etc.  Solution:  Just take out and restore everything to new?    OK...haven't replaced spark plugs, or checked valves in ages.  Is that it?   But No. 4 plug is in wrong, with threads or something...still sealed and working and all..but I'm afraid to mess with it because I don't want to replace the head, and don't have a clue how to do an insert if threads are messed up.