[T3] Trans swap

Dennis Stiefel dad23boys at live.com
Fri Dec 21 20:23:52 PST 2018

Since Keith shamed us folks who live outside of the salt belt I thought I'd give a quick update with what's going with my stuff. Although we did have some freezing fog last week that caused some driving conditions we don't usually have in these parts may be a sign of things to come for us this winter. Anyway not been able to enjoy driving around in clementine during what I call non AC driving season(early October to mid May). I've had a transaxle noise since I put this trans in about 2 years ago. It came out of the crusty 72 Square I used for parts. It only had 77K on it so I thought it would be better than the one in it that had 175K and had endured my teen years back in the early 80s when I busted the spider gears and still not sure where all the debris from that exploded gear went. The noise is constant regardless of gear but goes away when the clutch is disengaged.  I thought I maybe the input shaft bearing. So I have my class pull every thing out before the end of the semester start putting the other trans (the one in it originally) in and now it's locked up. Seems to be in the differential so got to crack that open and see if one of those exploded gear fragments on the original trans has found its way back in the differential section. Guess we shall see which trans is going to be easier to fix.  The whole reason I pulled the original trans out for the low miles one was because there was a quick cluck noise sometimes when you engaged the clutch from a dead stop while turning so I thought the spider gears agin. Anyway I'll give an update when I crack the cover off the Dif. Been very busy here lately as my program is going through recertification which is pretty much like an audit for our program every 5 years.  Fun! Fun!

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL