[T3] Still trying to figure out the 73 T-3 FI issue

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 4 16:01:58 PST 2018

 I know the cooler has the original foam pad , it's still there. I have no
idea since it's been 20 years since I rebuilt the engine how the fins look .

 Like I said last time I took the tin off in the car was 85 when I bought
it. When I rebuilt it I had the engine out. I looked at it today and it
seems lot's of stuff needs to be removed to get the left upper tin off and I
don't know if it can be removed with the fire wall tin in place. If I were
still 36 no problem now at my age it's not so easy .

 It does leak engine oil , more on the left side yet I don't see wet oil by
the cooler since I can see that area tin on. I need to find a way to clean
all the oil off and perhapes use the dye sold to tell where it's leaking .
Even then you can't see many areas like most cars since all the tin covers
most of it. Before I do anything with the injectors removed and still
connected see it any have a leak at the tip and have a good spray pattern .
I know installer the sleeves is a had job. Last time I used some ford sealer
I had and still have and thought it was a good idea . It just made sliding
the sleeves on more dfficult . I'm not sure how I will do it this time. Any
suggestions? Silicone paste or spray? The ones I got are not the old cloth
cover type they look like wrapped cloth on the outside from Cip1.com . I
also used the same ford sealer on the runner to head intakes . Looking at
the old heads the spacer gaskets did not stick to the runners or heads. Wish
I saved the old ones so I'd have a set to prepare before I do this.

 I got the runner sleeves and head exhaust gaskets. I have a bad leak on the
right side where the EMPI header fits the right heat exchanger . When I
removed the stock muffler the two pipes from the muffler to heat exchanger
were thin so I couldn't use the stock muffler and had to resort using this
header. Thing is the exchanger pipes had rust scale and are now a smaller OD
and the stock VW clamps won't seal well . I think if I remove the header and
cut some thin sheet aluminum I have and wrap it around these it might fill
the gap and stop the leak . Won't be easy yet what else can I do? I can feel
the leak and hear it above the valves on cold start so I need to deal with
it.

 I prefered the stock exhaust I had and now wish I saved it , perhaps a
muffler shop could have welded new short pipes on. I didn't have internet
then didn't exist and a new stock T-3 muffler was $600 then. At that time
all that was offered were headers with a muffler hanging down out the on the
right, some better than others , all pretty much the same thing.